It is important to plan ahead to ensure success with your online presentation. Whether you are a seasoned public speaker—online or to a live audience—or this is your first online speaking engagement, please read over these best practices for what to know before, during, and after your online presentation to ensure a positive experience.
If you have specific questions, please contact email@example.com.
Use the following recommended equipment and network connections.
- Internet enabled computer (PC/Mac – Laptop or Desktop)
- Hard-wired Ethernet or stable wireless internet connection
- Webcam (can use laptop webcam—please test BEFORE your presentation)
- Wired USB headset for best quality, if possible
Set up your required technology equipment in a quiet/secluded area. Ideal environments have:
- A hard-wired internet connection capability
- A door you can close to eliminate outside distractions or interruptions
Have enough space around you to have printed materials and a place to write your notes.
Eliminate distractions and prevent interruptions.
- Turn your cell phone on vibrate or silent.
- Notify the people around you that you will be in a live presentation online.
- Place a do not disturb sign on your door.
- Stop all incoming calls to the main phone you will be utilizing (i.e., Do Not Disturb button).
- Turn off email, instant messaging, and social network notifications.
Have a glass or bottle of water nearby.
- Attendees may be able to see your computer desktop as you share your slides. Consider changing your computer’s desktop background to a solid neutral color if desired.
- Close all other windows on your computer to eliminate the possibility of participants seeing information on your screen you may not want to share.
Rehearsing Your Presentation
- If you will be the only speaker in your session, practice your presentation.
- Time yourself, then decide if you need to add or remove any content to meet the allotted time you have available.
- If you are presenting with others, practice together; rehearse your transitions and who will be covering specific slides, content.