A Message from the Conference Co-Chairs, Barbara Brandt and Christine Arenson...
We are excited to release the call for abstracts and invite you to participate in Nexus Summit 2020: Better Care, Better Value, Better Education. Hosted by the National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education, and co-hosted by the American Interprofessional Health Collaborative (AIHC) and the National Collaborative for Improving the Clinical Learning Environment (NCICLE), Nexus Summit 2020 builds upon our commitment to learn together as we break new ground at the nexus where interprofessional education meets person-centered collaborative practice. In 2020 we continue our focus on the interprofessional clinical learning environment.
Nexus Summit 2020 will build upon our track record of successfully bringing together thought leaders, faculty, practitioners and students who are deeply engaged in interprofessional practice and education to inform action. Participants find that action-oriented sessions allow them to advance plans that will help optimize their own interprofessional clinical learning environment when they return home. Nexus Summit 2020 will continue and enhance our signature features:
- Keynote speakers from education, healthcare delivery systems and other industries challenge us to solve our nation’s health challenges.
- Conversation Cafes inform institutional models and educational accreditors.
- Patients are key members of the Nexus Summit community and have taught us how to engage those we serve as key members of our teams. This year we will also engage caregivers in this critical conversation.
- In 2019, the first ever Nexus Innovation Challenge brought together interprofessional teams to develop novel solutions for a very real-world health problem. SmithGroup will again partner with us for Nexus Summit 2020!
- Action-oriented Workshops provide opportunities for individuals and teams to build skills and develop plans for implementation at their home institution.
- The ever-popular Nexus Fair promotes sharing across multi-sector organizations and Centers of Interprofessional Practice and Education.
- Poster sessions are highly interactive and promote sharing ideas, expertise and resources
- Introduced last year, Lightning Talks were a big hit as many attendees told us this format allowed them to take away ley lessons from more presenters and models.
- 60-minute Seminars will provide opportunities to take a deeper dive into our colleagues’ work.
We listened and we heard you:
- The American Interprofessional Health Collaborative is creating specific opportunities to develop leadership skills across the spectrum of IPE– from novices needing to know “where to start” to mentorship for IPE leaders.
Finally, the National Center’s long-standing focus on collecting data to support quality IPE implementation will be showcased, with increased emphasis on using our own educational and practice data to evaluate interprofessional practice and education initiatives, particularly in the nexus of the interprofessional clinical learning environment.
We encourage you to submit an abstract for a Poster, Lightning Talk or Seminar to share your IPE work. Talk to your colleagues and bring a team to engage in one of our action-oriented workshops. Plan to compete in the Nexus Innovation Challenge.
Most of all, come ready to engage, be challenged, and join the conversation. The Nexus Summit 2020 promises to be the best yet – and we need your voice! We’ll see you in August!
Nexus Summit 2020 Conference Chair
Director, National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education